StampNews.com got to know that Magyar Posta marked the 150th anniversary of the birth of Miksa Róth by issuing a commemorative stamp block. The stamp block shows the prize-winning 135 x 86.5 cm Pax mosaic, which was made from opalescent Tiffany glass, Puhl and Wagner's gold leaf and Zsolnay eosin glazed elements. It was first exhibited at the Paris World Exposition, and afterwards was housed in Miksa Róth's library until his death. Today it is on display in the Miksa Róth Memorial House, which was converted from the artist's former abode.
The new issue was unveiled and put into circulation on the 4th of June.
Miksa Róth (1865–1944) is the best known and most highly acclaimed Hungarian glass stainer and mosaic artist who ever lived. Among the buildings adorned by Róth's stained-glass windows are the Gothic church of Mariasdorf in Burgenland, the Hungarian Parliament, the buildings of today's Ministries of Finance and Interior, and the Central Bank of Hungary as well as the Vajdahunyad Castle, which was rebuilt in 1903, and the former royal retreat, which was converted into the Chapel of Ják.
Of his mosaics, those which can still be seen today include the capital's largest public mosaic, Patrona Hungariae on the facade of the former Turkish Bank House on Szervita Square in Budapest; the mosaic symbolising the foundation of Pannonhalma Abbey on the facade of the church there; and the light modern mosaic decoration of the dome hall of the Széchenyi Baths executed in conjunction with Zsigmond Vajda. Róth was awarded the title of Knight of the Order of Franz Joseph for the successful introduction of the art of mosaic-making in Hungary.
In 1900 he won a silver medal at the first major international review of the Secession in Paris. Later he was awarded a gold medal in world expositions in Turin and Saint Louis, and received the Italian king's gold medal for reviving mosaic technique.