StampNews.com got to know that Gibraltar Post is preparing to issue a new stamp set celebrating the Gibraltar Sea Scouts Centenary. The set consists of two stamps that are to be released on the 13th of September.
The first reference to the Gibraltar Sea Scouts on record is found in a letter, dated 4th July 1914 from Major O.H. Pedley, the scout Commissioner for Gibraltar, to the Secretary of the Boy Scouts Association in which he informs his that No. 3 and No. 4 Troop 'are in the process of formation' and that we shall probably have some Sea Scouts in the near future'. Less than a year later 5th Gibraltar Sea Scouts was raised with Mr. Radcliffe, RN, as its Scoutmaster.
Scouting continued to flourish during this period and in June 1916, in response to an invitation from the President of the Spanish Boy Scouts, Gibraltar Boy Scouts marched across the frontier to La Linea to take part in the inauguration ceremony of the newly formed Troop there. A fortnight later the La Linea Scouts returned to visit and were piped all the way from the Frontier to Ragged Staff.
Prior to the outbreak of World War II the group moved its Clubhouse from Ragged Staff to a Floating House berthed at the Camber. This clubhouse served until 1951 when it was destroyed in the Bedenham explosion. Accommodations were then provided at Coaling Island but naval requirements necessitated their moving back to the Camber. In 1988, thanks to the efforts of Admiral Vallings, they moved into their present quarters at No. 4 Dock, HMS Rooke. The building has been aptly named 'Vallings Cabin'.
In 1976 The Pipe Band attended the International Jamborette at Blair Atholl and the Troop has participated there regularly ever since.
In 1967 the 3rd Group Sea Scouts disbanded and some of its members joined the 5th Group. From this moment on the title of the Group shortened to 'Gibraltar Sea Scouts'.
During the 100 years of its existence the Group has owned a number of boats. Most famous of these is probably the 'Eider Duck', which was loaned to the Royal Navy for the duration of the Second World War and used by it as a tender. At present the Group disposes of numerous canes, motorboats including The Rock Rover and a number of sailing dinghies.
The Group is the only Sea Scout group outside the United Kingdom that is recognized by the Admiralty.