Sister Islands Traditional Houses stamp issue offers a photographic reminder of the enduring style of the houses of yesteryear. The four stamp series was released on 10 June.
20¢ Capt. Theo's Villa – Little Cayman, Blossom Village
Capt. Theo's Villa, owned by Theophilus and Louise Bodden, was built in the early 1890s. The house was built by Eden Bodden on ironwood pillars from trees found on Little Cayman. The outside of the house is built of 1 X 6 hardwood yellow pine, tongue and groove style and the inside is done in a similar style with 1 X 4 yellow pine. The lumber came from Dantzler Company in Pascagoula, Mississippi. Men from Little Cayman brought coconuts to sell in Tampa in order to get money to buy the lumber in Pascagoula.
25c The Carter House – Cayman Brac
Edwin Adolphus Carter built his family home in Creek, Cayman Brac in 1928. Mr. Carter married Evelyn McLean and they had 11 children. The house is a manor construction – wattle and daub cottage on the first floor and a timber cabin on the second floor.
75c Captain Charlie's on StakeBay, Cayman Brac
This beautiful white and green Caymanian style house is known as "Captain Charlie's on the Bay". Before the 1932 hurricane, the original house was built by Walter and Judith Kirkconnell in the 1870s. The house was later inherited by Walter's son, Charles Gerald Kirkconnell, better known as Captain Charlie, who shared this home with his wife Olivene and his three children, Alex, Charles and Eldon.
$1 The Taylor Foster House
The house was built in 1933 by Mr. Medley Foster – the brother of Mr. Taylor. The material is believed to have come from Florida. This house has a high ceiling - raised rectangular, shiplap wood siding in a bungalow style with ironwood stilts. It is gable ended with a perpendicular painted zinc roof and covered front porch. The kitchen is separate from the main house.
First Day Cover: The Bertrand Marson House
Built in 1908 and officially called Cliff House, The Bertrand Marson House has four bedrooms and bathrooms, a living room, dining room, kitchen and library. Its rectangular, shiplap wood siding is typical of houses built in that era. It has a gable-ended zinc roof with wooden shutters and an extended covered front porch. The house acted as a shelter during the 1932 hurricane and remains a landmark in Cayman Brac. Nancy Gurr Baldwin and her brother Harry Gurr are the current owners. They are descendants of James Hunter who built the house, and his niece Valerie Hunter Borden Marson, who was married to Bertrand Marson.