Museums is the title of a new series of stamps displaying collections and art galleries from across Spain. The first issue is dedicated to theMuseo de Guadalajara (Museum of Guadalajara) and the Museo de Arte Abstracto Español (Museum of Spanish Abstract Art) based in Cuenca. The stamps are in an original vertical format and presented in Premium Sheet issue.
The Museo de Arte Abstracto Español in Cuenca is based in the Casas Colgadas (Hanging Houses), the city's most famous building, perched high over the canyon formed by the Huecar river. It was set up in 1966 as the result of an initiative promoted by Fernando Zobel. The museum displays more than 100 paintings and sculptures selected from the main collection, representing Spanish artists who set the most significant trends in the 1950s and 1960s. They include names like Gustavo Torner, Gregorio Rueda, Saura, Chillida, Tapies, Feito, Sempere, Millares and Chirino, plus work by Zobel. The museum is run by the Juan March Foundation, which has expanded and completed the collections.
The stamp shows a composite image of the Casas Colgadas, home to the museum, and a painting by Fernando Zobel (Manila, 1924 – Rome, 1984).
The Museo de Guadalajara opened to the public in 1838 and was originally based in the historic Palacio de Antonio de Mendoza in the city of Guadalajara. Over the years it has occupied a number of buildings, until in 1973 it moved to its definitive home in the Palacio del Infantado. It is the oldest provincial museum in Spain and its collections include paintings, sculptures, archaeological finds and ethnographic artefacts.
The permanent exhibition, "Transitos" (Transits) displays the museum's most important pieces divided into three groups. The Fine Arts section holds more than 200 paintings and sculptures dating from the 15th century to the present day. The Archaeology section contains pieces from archaeological digs around the province, and the Ethnography section displays objects connected with the province's traditional customs, such as masks, castanets and spinning wheels, forming a unique collection on the traditions and lifestyle of the region's inhabitants.
The stamp is illustrated with plasterwork and a glass, both decorated, a female sculpture from the Roman era (2nd century) and the main facade of the museum.