StampNews.com is glad to inform that Iceland issued a forth series of stamps under the name "Lighthouses". This issue consists of two stamps that depict the most famous and old lighthouses of this country. The stamps were released and put into circulation on the 11th of September.
The Dyrhólaey lighthouse. The first lighthouse in Dyrhólaey was erected in 1910. This was a Swedish ironframe lighthouse, the first of its kind to be built in Iceland. In 1927 a concrete lighthouse was erected in the island. It is 12.7 m in height, 123 m above sea level and fitted with a Swedish cylindrical lantern, 4,7 m in height, with a catadioptric revolving lens, 1000 mm
in diameter, using gas lighting. The lighthouse was powered by a lighting machine in 1964. Architect Guðjón Samúelsson made the first design which was later modified.
The Akranes lighthouse. There are two lighthouses on Skipaskagi in Akranes. The older one is a concrete tower which was constructed in 1918. The more recent lighthouse was erected in 1943–1944 based on design by engineer Axel Sveinsson. It was taken into use in 1947. Gas lighting was used at first, the light being amplified by a 500 mm catadioptric lens.
In 1956 the lighthouse was powered by electricity. The Swedish lantern is 3,5 m in height. The Akranes lighthouse is a conical tower, 19,2 m in height and stands on a concrete octangular base.