Poczta Polska issued a stamp to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the International Year of the Family.
A special observance of the International Day of Families has been held on 15 May in UN Headquarters. This event commemorated the twentieth anniversary of the International Year of the Family and featured a panel discussion on "Families Matter for the Achievement of Development Goals."
The twentieth anniversary of the International Year of the Family (2014) offers an opportunity to refocus on the role of families in development; take stock of recent trends in family policy development; share good practices in family policy making; review challenges faced by families worldwide and recommend solutions. The preparations for the this anniversary will include:
- International and regional expert group meetings gathering family experts and practitioners.
- Research activities, including background papers.
- Exchange of good practices in family policy.
- Observances of the International Days of Families focusing on the themes for the twentieth anniversary.
- Side events at the Commission for Social Development.
- Government, civil society, academic and private sector initiatives at the national level.
Findings and recommendations from these activities are to guide future action in effective family policy design, monitoring and implementation.