Croatian post issued a set of stamps depicting Croatian castles. Stamps have been issued in 9-stamps shettlets and in one common sheet with 16 fields. The stamps depict the following castles:
THE CASTLE OF GERMAN COUNTS ELTZ – VUKOVAR
It is known for the archaeological site Vucedol, as a mediaeval settlement, for its transformation into a baroque style town and for its reconstructions in the 19th and 20th century. The castle was built gradually, with many modifications. Baroque-classicist features of the castle, its outbuildings, courts chapel and park – show a recognizable town planning and architectural idea. Its final look the castle got between 1895 and 1907 according to the project of the architect Viktor Siedek. A more important renovation took place between 1968 and 1970 when it was reconstructed to serve as the Museum of the town of Vukovar and between 2010 and 2012 when it was thoroughly reconstructed after demolition in the Homeland War. The counts Eltz lived in Vukovar and possessed the castle for entire two centuries. The family belongs to ancient German nobility, and was elevated to the title of Count in 1733. The inheritors of this ancient family live in Germany and in other European countries.
THE CASTLE OF ROMAN COUNTS ODESCALCHI – ILOK
Ilok is the most eastern town of Croatia. Ilok is mentioned already in the 13th century. In late middle ages it was among the biggest towns in Slavonia which in 1525 got also its own statute (the only one known in continental Croatia) decorated with miniatures by Julije Klovic (Julius Clovius). Medieval wall, castle, and Franciscan monastery with the church are today the most important buildings of the historic centre of Ilok. Medieval castle complex, which consisted of the feudal seat (Upper/Old Town) and of the craftsmen and tradesmen's settlement (Outer/Lower Town), was renovated during the 18th century in baroque style. In the north-western corner of the Upper Town there stood a medieval castle (old castle). On walls/foundations of the castle in the 18th century today's castle of the dukes Odescalchi was built, which during the 19th century saw numerous historicist modifications. The castle was renewed and adapted to museum's and gallery’s needs for the first time in 1968 and then in 2010-2012.
THE CASTLE OF COUNTS PEJACEVIC AND COUNTS SCHAUMBURG-LIPPE – VIROVITICA
Developed on an important roman road, Via Magna, which connected Poetovio (Ptuj) in the west and Mursa (Osijek) in the east, Virovitica is mentioned among the first settlements in north Croatia. Since Virovitica was king's estate, since the 13th century there stood a castle of Hungarian-Croatian kings. The castle with its park and partly preserved moat are major urban features of the town. Today's castle was built by the family Pejacevic on the north fortifications of the old king's castle. The castle was inhabited until the First World War and in 1931 it was bought by the Town which accommodated town administration inside. The castle was completely renewed in 1971 for the needs of the town museum and library which are now accommodated in the castle.
THE JESUIT CASTLE / CASTLE TURKOVIC – KUTJEVO
Kutjevo is remembered for once exemplary manor and the Kutjevo wine which has a tradition reaching far into the Roman period. Kutjevo marks more than seven and a half centuries of its history connected with the estate and the castle. Today's castle in Kutjevo is a part of once Jesuit complex that consisted of a monastery church, residence castle, outbuildings and parks and was built in 1735 on the remains of the Cistercian Abbey. The particular look to the main facade gives the bell tower in background. In front of the south facade the historicist park was built at the end of the 19th century. In the time of the family Turkovic the castle was renewed between 1886 and 1888 in a historicist style. At the beginning of the 20th century another renewal was done under guidance of the architect Viktor Kovacic. In September 1918, at the time of the breakup of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy, the castle was plundered and burnt. It was renewed again in 1925. After the Second World War it was used as office. There have been attempts in the 90-ties to adapt it for other purposes but without success.