On the anniversary of 300 years since beginning the construction of Antim Monastery, Romfilatelia introduces into circulation a postage stamps issue consisting of two stamps, dedicated to this event.
300 years ago, the metropolitan bishop Antim Ivireanul laid the foundation of Antim Monastery, dedicated to All Saints, being today one of the oldest and most beautiful monasteries of Bucharest.
By its supple, elegant and balanced architectural line and the refinement and depth of the vegetal motifs sculpted in stone and wood, the monastery church is considered "one of the most beautiful churches, the work of art of an artist archpriest, the creator of an artistic synthesis which made this synthesis not only in the conditions of the Antim Church, but also in his own life". (Nicolae Iorga)
The artistic execution of the monastery represents an eloquent proof of the cultural life of Bucharest at the beginning of the 18th century.
The church, built after a plan in trefoil architectural style between 1713 and 1715, has large windows with frameworks sculpted in stone, big and rich rosettes and an open church porch. The capitals and pedestals of the columns are beautifully decorated with floral motifs.
In his will, the metropolitan bishop settled the function of two printing houses in the monastery (one in Romanian and one in Greek) and established a public library for the first time in Walachia.
The last integral restoration of Antim Monastery took place between 1964 and 1966.
As a first rank edifice, the monastery has become, ever since1950, the Patriarchal Chapel, the Bishop Residence, and today hosts the Synod Palace, the Library of the Holy Synod and the Archives of the Holy Synod.