According to info received by StampnNews.com five of Australia's most honorable and courageous soldiers have been stamped into history as the recipients of the 2015 Australia Post Legends Award. The stamps were released on the 22d of January and are now available for purchasing.
The nation's finest, whom are all receivers of the Victoria Cross, were presented with the prestigious award that sees them immortalized onto postage stamps. They feature:
- Keith Payne, our oldest living VC recipient, who was awarded for his bravery in rescuing wounded soldiers during the Vietnam War in 1969;
- Mark Donaldson, who was awarded for drawing Taliban fire away from casualties in 2008;
- Daniel Keighran, recognized for his actions during a fire fight in Afghanistan in 2010;
- Ben Roberts-Smith, also awarded for his actions in drawing enemy fire in Afghanistan in 2010;
- And Cameron Baird, who was killed in Afghanistan in June 2013.
Australia Post CEO Ahmed Fahour said the five represented courage and the ultimate display of mateship.
"These five men when faced with dangerous situations in their line of duty were selfless, devoted to their cause and committed to keeping their mates safe, for which sadly Corporal Baird paid the ultimate price", Mr Fahour said.
Australia Post will donate $1 to Legacy from selected products purchased from the Legends range.