According to info received by Stampnews.com, Latvijas Pasts has released a new stamp dedicated to Salacgrīva Lighthouse in the series Lighthouses of Latvia. This is the tenth stamp in the series Lighthouses of Latvia, while the previous one, Ainaži Lighthouse, was issued in 2014. This particular item was unveiled and put into circulation on the 21st of August.
Salacgrīva Lighthouse is located on the right bank of the Salaca River. It was built in 1925 as a quadrangle white tower with a red lantern. The height of the light was 8.4 meters, while the height of the lighthouse above water was 12.1 meters.
The lighthouse was built because the coast between Salacgrīva and Ainaži was the most dangerous area for navigation across the entire coast of the Gulf of Riga due to a lot of ground.
Salacgrīva Lighthouse has been out of operation for several years and it has been moved from the port area to the promenade on the bank of the Salaca River.