By way of a ministerial decree dated 28 July 1952, the French Overseas Territories were authorised to implement the service of current accounts and postal cheques. However, it was not before November 1963, when the CEP (Pacific Nuclear Test Centre) and CEA (Atomic Energy Commission), that Mr. Louis JACQUINOT, Minister responsible for Overseas Departments and Territories, ordered its application in French Polynesia as at 01 January 1964.
The Post and Telecommunications Office managed the business of the Postal Cheque Centre, which, in its first year, had 161 clients.
Among them were the first CEP/CEA military personnel and the expatriate teachers, the big companies operating on the territory and all the banks, including SOCREDO, which according to the records, was among the Centre’s first clients.
At the beginning, the metropolitan reference embodied by the Postal Cheque Centre guaranteed the success of the business. The financial products that were proposed were current accounts and the means of payment associated therewith and postal money orders. As from 1976, the management of the Postal Cheque Centre was passed on to French Polynesians.
This year 2014 marks the fiftieth anniversary of the Postal Cheque Centre, which today has more than 30,000 clients all over the territory.