To celebrate the 140th anniversary of the Conde de Sao Januario General Hospital, Macao Post issued a set of highly collectible commemorative stamps, from which the public will better understand the Hospital's history and its development.
Completed in 1874, the formerly military hospital, Conde de Sao Januario General Hospital is commonly known as "The Hill-top Hospital". The architecture of the Hospital is a phenomenal representation of the British neo-Gothic design of a famous Belgian hospital. It was considered to be one of the largest continental palatial architecture in South China at that time. The magnificent 150-meter-tall building became Macao's most recognizable structure. The Hospital was renamed in 1937 to commemorate its founder Conde de Sao Januario.
Today, Conde de Sao Januario General Hospital spreads over 30,963 square meters of land, with a construction area of 83,723 square meters. It consists of 5 inter-linked blocks and is equipped with a helipad. To improve the local healthcare services, hospital staffs continuously undertake academic exchanges overseas. In keeping pace with the rapidly advances healthcare technology, the Hospital has also introduced telemedicine in its diagnostics and medical technology.
In 2012, Conde de Sao Januario General Hospital had participated in and was awarded accreditation by the Australian Council on Healthcare Standards (ACHS). The internationally-recognized ACHS was established in 1974 as an independent, non-profit organization, dedicated to improving the quality of healthcare through continual review of performance, assessment and accreditation and has accredited more than 1,450 medical institutions ever since. The assessment is based on three areas: clinical, support and corporate functions. The Hospital reached the "Evaluation & Quality Improvement Program" standards in all 45 categories and successfully achieved a "4-Year Full Accreditation", three of its services also received "Extensive Achievements" which is very encouraging.
To cater to Macao's recent rapid development and growing population, the Hospital has advanced medical equipment and supporting facilities, covering internal medicine, surgery, pediatrics as well as obstetrics and gynecology. It provides services to the public that include inpatient, outpatient, emergency, surgery, intensive care treatment and various specialist treatments. In covers 89 specialist outpatient services to meet the growing healthcare demand of residents and a large number of visitors to safeguard the public health.