Christmas 2013 on new stamps from Christmas Island
The Christmas Island Christmas stamp issue takes a colourful approach to the festive season through illustrations of Santa and Christmas Island fauna. The island was named by Captain William Mynors, who sailed past it on 25 December 1643.
Santa has taken to the air, but not in his traditional mode of transport. Here, he rides on the back of a Frigatebird, with a banner streaming out behind him, announcing tidings of the festive season.
In the other design, a Frigatebird and a Red Crab ferry a payload of presents in a hot-air balloon, while Christmas Island can be seen far below in the blue waters of the Indian Ocean. The skies in the minisheet are alive with a menagerie of local inhabitants: Green Turtles, Golden Bosunbirds, Frigatebirds, Abbott’s Boobys, Red Crabs and a Blue Crab.
- 18.09.2013Marine Fauna of Slovenia stamps covered with sea salt - 1,919
- 04.11.2013Top 10 most extraordinary stamps 2012 - 1,331
- 28.02.2014Most popular stamps 2013 by our readers’ opinion - 722
- 28.09.2013Raphael the Italian painter through philately - 665
- 21.02.2014hippokampos: Expecting more stamps with same topic se …
- 27.01.2014Stewie1980: This is not a real stamp! From the Magy …
- 24.01.2014Stewie1980: These stamps are 'personalized' stamps i …
- 24.01.2014alex: fake?
- 16.12.2013alex: fully agree with hippokampos. What do y …
- 16.12.2013hippokampos: Philately is not dying. Changing yes, bu …
- 04.12.2013alex: +1
- 04.12.2013editor-in-chief: fixed!
- 04.12.2013hippokampos: No AR code to listen the music?
- 04.12.2013hippokampos: Please change TAG to Slovakia.