Edvard Munch 150th Anniversary stamps from Norway
Norwegian Posten issued a set of stamps to commemorate the 150th anniversary of Edvard Munch (1863-1944), Norwegian painter and printmaker whose intensely evocative treatment of psychological themes built upon some of the main tenets of late 19th-century Symbolism and greatly influenced German Expressionism in the early 20th century. One of his most well-known works is The Scream of 1893.
Last year’s sale of The Scream at Sotheby’s in New York for $119.9 million reminded yet again that Edvard Munch is one of the world’s most famous Norwegians.
The stamps feature the following masterpieces of Munch:
Kr 13.00: Detail from Self-portrait in front of the Wall (1926);
Kr 15.00: Detail from The Sick Child (1896);
Kr 17.00: Detail from Madonna (1895);
Kr 20.00: Detail from The Scream (1893);
Kr 20.00 (miniature sheet): The Sun (1911).
- 07.03.2016Most popular stamps 2015 by StampNews readers’ opinion - 2,158
- 27.05.2016Slovene lacemaking as the greatest form of art. One Special stamp released by Slovenian Post - 1,962
- 02.03.2016Presidents on Stamps – remarkable stamp issues to be remembered and collected - 1,520
- 25.03.2016Queen’s 90th birthday celebrated by Jersey Post. 10 new festive stamps released - 449
- 05.08.2016Brazil Stamps: Today is a happy day for us, opening the …
- 05.08.2016hippokampos: Bonjour Michele, some advice for you. …
- 02.08.2016editor-in-chief: fixed, thank you!
- 31.07.2016Stewie1980: The '4995 items issued' only applies to …
- 28.07.2016Stewie1980: These are not personalized. Personalized …
- 27.07.2016editor-in-chief: Hope these stamps are not PERSONALIZED
- 16.07.2016Michele: Bonjour, Je suis dentellière, philatéli …
- 13.07.2016Stewie1980: These are “PERSONALIZED” stamps! These a …
- 26.06.2016alex: another stamp with stamps
- 05.05.2016alex: just purchased