Edvard Munch 150th Anniversary stamps from Norway
Norwegian Posten issued a set of stamps to commemorate the 150th anniversary of Edvard Munch (1863-1944), Norwegian painter and printmaker whose intensely evocative treatment of psychological themes built upon some of the main tenets of late 19th-century Symbolism and greatly influenced German Expressionism in the early 20th century. One of his most well-known works is The Scream of 1893.
Last year’s sale of The Scream at Sotheby’s in New York for $119.9 million reminded yet again that Edvard Munch is one of the world’s most famous Norwegians.
The stamps feature the following masterpieces of Munch:
Kr 13.00: Detail from Self-portrait in front of the Wall (1926);
Kr 15.00: Detail from The Sick Child (1896);
Kr 17.00: Detail from Madonna (1895);
Kr 20.00: Detail from The Scream (1893);
Kr 20.00 (miniature sheet): The Sun (1911).
- 28.02.2014Most popular stamps 2013 by our readers’ opinion - 1,654
- 17.04.2014Vintage Circus Posters are to surprise the collectors - 854
- 07.05.2014Post Offices around the world on Facebook, May 2014 (INFOGRAPHICS) - 615
- 31.01.20142014 FIFA World Cup Brazil – Host Cities featured on new Brazilian stamps - 342
- 15.06.2014hippokampos: What color post marks is used for cancel …
- 15.06.2014alex: +1
- 14.06.2014Doc4Cent: LIke the Carob Tree stamps from Monaco t …
- 14.06.2014Doc4Cent: These Carob Tree stamps are just stunnin …
- 29.05.2014alex: 3 metres in length ???
- 27.05.2014alex: The results are interesting and not at a …
- 01.05.2014hippokampos: No AR code?
- 05.04.2014hippokampos: We missed you.
- 21.02.2014hippokampos: Expecting more stamps with same topic se …
- 27.01.2014Stewie1980: This is not a real stamp! From the Magy …