Edvard Munch 150th Anniversary stamps from Norway
Norwegian Posten issued a set of stamps to commemorate the 150th anniversary of Edvard Munch (1863-1944), Norwegian painter and printmaker whose intensely evocative treatment of psychological themes built upon some of the main tenets of late 19th-century Symbolism and greatly influenced German Expressionism in the early 20th century. One of his most well-known works is The Scream of 1893.
Last year’s sale of The Scream at Sotheby’s in New York for $119.9 million reminded yet again that Edvard Munch is one of the world’s most famous Norwegians.
The stamps feature the following masterpieces of Munch:
Kr 13.00: Detail from Self-portrait in front of the Wall (1926);
Kr 15.00: Detail from The Sick Child (1896);
Kr 17.00: Detail from Madonna (1895);
Kr 20.00: Detail from The Scream (1893);
Kr 20.00 (miniature sheet): The Sun (1911).
- 07.03.2016Most popular stamps 2015 by StampNews readers’ opinion - 1,387
- 02.03.2016Presidents on Stamps – remarkable stamp issues to be remembered and collected - 1,263
- 14.12.2015A scandal in the world of philately! Carrick woman accused of stealing and selling stamps worth US$1 million - 714
- 08.02.2016New Zealand Native Glowworms amaze by their beauty. 4 innovative shining stamps released! - 440
- 05.05.2016alex: just purchased
- 22.04.2016alex: 2009 stamp on 2016 FDC - This could be h …
- 20.04.2016alex: nice series!
- 18.04.2016birdstamper: The Shearwaters on these four stamps are …
- 08.04.2016Stewie1980: These are “PERSONALIZED” stamps! These a …
- 08.04.2016Stewie1980: This is a “PERSONALIZED” stamp! It was N …
- 08.04.2016Stewie1980: These are "PERSONALIZED" stamps! These a …
- 12.03.2016StampLover: Very detailed and interesting ranking! A …
- 06.03.2016alex: agree!
- 04.03.2016prettyfen: this topic stamps is very few.