St Patrick’s Day stamp from Ireland
An Post issued a stamp to celebrate St Patrick’s Day.
St Patrick is the patron saint of Ireland. He was born around 390AD in Wales, and died at Saul, Downpatrick, Co. Down, in 460AD.
St Patrick is credited with bringing Christianity to Ireland, which at that time was a pagan country. Legend also holds that, using his wooden staff, he drove the snakes from Ireland into the sea. However, this is probably a metaphor for putting an end to pagan practices in Ireland, some of which involved the worshiping of snakes and serpents.
St Patrick’s Day, March 17, is both a religious and a public holiday in Ireland. The day is traditionally marked by parades, which are staged throughout Ireland and in cities in all corners of the world.
The stamp was designed by Steve Simpson. The stamp shows Lucia Reynolds and Kathy Hardiman, enjoying the 2012 St Patrick’s Day Parade, in Dublin.
- 27.05.2016Slovene lacemaking as the greatest form of art. One Special stamp released by Slovenian Post - 2,395
- 06.08.2016Preliminary results of the annual rating “MOST POPULAR STAMPS 2016 BY STAMPNEWS READERS’ OPINION”. You can be the one who will define the winner! - 556
- 22.08.2016A real furor in the philatelic world. Stamp enthusiast from Czech Republic bought world’s most expensive stamps! - 482
- 12.09.2016Supermodel Doutzen Kroes commemorated with a new issue by PostNL. Ten extremely pretty and original stamps unveiled - 460
- 21.10.2016Stewie1980: You know this is satire, right? http:// …
- 16.10.2016alex: SOLD FOR US$1,540 - 15 October auction
- 12.10.2016rosie5612: I love the 2016 Holiday Window stamp tha …
- 01.10.2016rosie5612: it are very nice design of Jack O'Lanter …
- 25.09.2016editor-in-chief: fixed! thank you
- 22.09.2016Stewie1980: A printing run of 180,000 is not limited …
- 10.09.2016ubbu: Very nice stamps!
- 05.08.2016Brazil Stamps: Today is a happy day for us, opening the …
- 05.08.2016hippokampos: Bonjour Michele, some advice for you. …
- 02.08.2016editor-in-chief: fixed, thank you!