Weddings 2013 stamp from Ireland
On February 14, 2013, An Post issued its latest and ever-popular Wedding stamp.
The word “wedding” comes from the root meaning to “gamble” or “wager”. The Anglo-Saxon word “wedd” meant that the groom would vow to marry the woman, but it also meant the sum of money, or barter, that the groom paid to the bride’s father for her hand in marriage. Even today, where no money changes hands, it is still customary for the father of the bride to “give away” his daughter on the wedding day.
The phrase “Tie the knot” which is often used to describe the wedding ceremony or to refer to couples that are getting married, also has historical meaning. It originates from Roman times, when the bride wore a girdle that was tied into knots, which the groom had the fun of untying.
The stamp, which is specially designed for use on wedding stationery, is based on a photograph by Harry Weir and shows a couple lighting their wedding candle during their nuptials. The stamp is sold as a self-adhesive pair.
Поделиться в соц. сетях
- 12.09.2016Supermodel Doutzen Kroes commemorated with a new issue by PostNL. Ten extremely pretty and original stamps unveiled - 656
- 06.08.2016Preliminary results of the annual rating “MOST POPULAR STAMPS 2016 BY STAMPNEWS READERS’ OPINION”. You can be the one who will define the winner! - 622
- 22.08.2016A real furor in the philatelic world. Stamp enthusiast from Czech Republic bought world’s most expensive stamps! - 530
- 04.08.2016Marking Olympic history through stamps The unique stamp collection of devoted philatelist França Leite - 441
- 07.11.2016rosie5612: Lovely Christmas Stamp design
- 01.11.2016alex: first really extraordinary stamp this ye …
- 28.10.2016Stewie1980: Ridiculous. The stamps are all the same. …
- 21.10.2016Stewie1980: You know this is satire, right? http:// …
- 16.10.2016alex: SOLD FOR US$1,540 - 15 October auction
- 12.10.2016rosie5612: I love the 2016 Holiday Window stamp tha …
- 01.10.2016rosie5612: it are very nice design of Jack O'Lanter …
- 25.09.2016editor-in-chief: fixed! thank you
- 22.09.2016Stewie1980: A printing run of 180,000 is not limited …
- 10.09.2016ubbu: Very nice stamps!