Personalities: Bertha von Suttner stamp from Czech Republic
Ceska posta issued a stamp to commemorate the 170th anniversary of the birth of Bertha von Suttner (1843-1914).
Baroness Bertha Felicitas Sophie von Suttner was a Czech and Austrian radical pacifist, journalist and novelist. Her novel, “Die Waffen nieder!” (“Lay Down Your Arms!”), published in 1889 was a major success. It became a huge sensation and placed the author among the leading figures of the global peace movement. She played an active role in anti-war events, helped establish the international Permanent Court of Arbitration in the Hague, Netherlands, defended the rights of women and ethnic minorities. She publicly expressed her disapproval of antisemitism and was elected as the head of the Committee of Organizations for Peace.
In 1875, she shortly became Alfred Nobel
- 17.04.2014Vintage Circus Posters are to surprise the collectors - 897
- 07.05.2014Post Offices around the world on Facebook, May 2014 (INFOGRAPHICS) - 754
- 11.07.2014Assassination of the Austrian Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife Sophie Duchess of Hohenberg - 383
- 15.07.2014Germany has won the World Cup 2014 – an impressive success honored with a special stamp - 318
- 26.08.2014alex: stamp on stamp great idea!
- 15.06.2014hippokampos: What color post marks is used for cancel …
- 15.06.2014alex: +1
- 14.06.2014Doc4Cent: LIke the Carob Tree stamps from Monaco t …
- 14.06.2014Doc4Cent: These Carob Tree stamps are just stunnin …
- 29.05.2014alex: 3 metres in length ???
- 27.05.2014alex: The results are interesting and not at a …
- 01.05.2014hippokampos: No AR code?
- 05.04.2014hippokampos: We missed you.
- 21.02.2014hippokampos: Expecting more stamps with same topic se …