Personalities: Bertha von Suttner stamp from Czech Republic
Ceska posta issued a stamp to commemorate the 170th anniversary of the birth of Bertha von Suttner (1843-1914).
Baroness Bertha Felicitas Sophie von Suttner was a Czech and Austrian radical pacifist, journalist and novelist. Her novel, “Die Waffen nieder!” (“Lay Down Your Arms!”), published in 1889 was a major success. It became a huge sensation and placed the author among the leading figures of the global peace movement. She played an active role in anti-war events, helped establish the international Permanent Court of Arbitration in the Hague, Netherlands, defended the rights of women and ethnic minorities. She publicly expressed her disapproval of antisemitism and was elected as the head of the Committee of Organizations for Peace.
In 1875, she shortly became Alfred Nobel
- 04.11.2013Top 10 most extraordinary stamps 2012 - 1,445
- 28.02.2014Most popular stamps 2013 by our readers’ opinion - 1,078
- 18.11.2013StampNews.com Rankings 2014 - 533
- 15.12.2013Philately keeps me company in old age: Brijmohan Modi’s story - 455
- 05.04.2014hippokampos: We missed you.
- 21.02.2014hippokampos: Expecting more stamps with same topic se …
- 27.01.2014Stewie1980: This is not a real stamp! From the Magy …
- 24.01.2014Stewie1980: These stamps are 'personalized' stamps i …
- 24.01.2014alex: fake?
- 16.12.2013alex: fully agree with hippokampos. What do y …
- 16.12.2013hippokampos: Philately is not dying. Changing yes, bu …
- 04.12.2013alex: +1
- 04.12.2013editor-in-chief: fixed!
- 04.12.2013hippokampos: No AR code to listen the music?