Catch a Wave with Australia Post’s new stamp issue!
Australia Post celebrates surfing with the release of four stamps coinciding with the 50th anniversary of Surfing Australia.
Surfing Australia, a not-for-profit incorporated national sporting organization, was established to guide the development of surfing and promote the sport in Australia.
The origins of surfing in Australia are often attributed to visiting Hawaiian Olympic swimmer Duke Kahanamoku, who demonstrated board riding at Freshwater Beach, New South Wales in the summer of 1914-15. Prior to this, a handful of New South Welshmen were riding their boards “Hawaiian-style”, most probably was Tommy Walker.
Australians began embracing the beach during the 1950s and 1960s, the period in which surfing surged in popularity. Surf culture defined a generation of youth, offering a sense of freedom and adrenaline-charged times. By the 1960s, surfing was making its way into the mainstream style of young Australians.
The stamps cover surf-pilgrimage, beach-beauties, pro-surfing and sixties-surfing themes.
Поделиться в соц. сетях
- 12.09.2016Supermodel Doutzen Kroes commemorated with a new issue by PostNL. Ten extremely pretty and original stamps unveiled - 656
- 06.08.2016Preliminary results of the annual rating “MOST POPULAR STAMPS 2016 BY STAMPNEWS READERS’ OPINION”. You can be the one who will define the winner! - 622
- 22.08.2016A real furor in the philatelic world. Stamp enthusiast from Czech Republic bought world’s most expensive stamps! - 530
- 04.08.2016Marking Olympic history through stamps The unique stamp collection of devoted philatelist França Leite - 441
- 07.11.2016rosie5612: Lovely Christmas Stamp design
- 01.11.2016alex: first really extraordinary stamp this ye …
- 28.10.2016Stewie1980: Ridiculous. The stamps are all the same. …
- 21.10.2016Stewie1980: You know this is satire, right? http:// …
- 16.10.2016alex: SOLD FOR US$1,540 - 15 October auction
- 12.10.2016rosie5612: I love the 2016 Holiday Window stamp tha …
- 01.10.2016rosie5612: it are very nice design of Jack O'Lanter …
- 25.09.2016editor-in-chief: fixed! thank you
- 22.09.2016Stewie1980: A printing run of 180,000 is not limited …
- 10.09.2016ubbu: Very nice stamps!