The 350th Anniversary of Penza stamp from Russia
The Russian post issued a stamp to celebrate the 350th anniversary of the city of Penza.
Fortress city Penza was founded in 1663 under the rule of Tsar Aleksey Michailovich as a frontier outpost on the southeastern border of the state which was easy and unfortified meat for steppe Nomads.
In 1781 Penza and province were received the Highest approved coat of arms which illustrates three sheaves out of wheat, barley and millet in the green field that means “prosperity and enrichment farming of local soil”. The contemporary coat of arms is approved by the City Duma of Penza on December 28, 2001.
In 1801 Penza was declared a province town, being simultaneously the center of Penza district. At the turn of XIX-XX the town was called “New Athens” due to large quantity of cultural and learning institutions. During the first years of the Great Patriotic War Penza became one of the powerful centers for the production of mortar weapons in the country.
Nowadays, Penza is a large industrial and cultural center, railway and road hub; there is also an airport here.
The postage stamp illustrates a sculpture composition “First settler” and Penza coat of arms.
- 18.09.2013Marine Fauna of Slovenia stamps covered with sea salt - 1,924
- 04.11.2013Top 10 most extraordinary stamps 2012 - 1,336
- 28.02.2014Most popular stamps 2013 by our readers’ opinion - 752
- 28.09.2013Raphael the Italian painter through philately - 667
- 21.02.2014hippokampos: Expecting more stamps with same topic se …
- 27.01.2014Stewie1980: This is not a real stamp! From the Magy …
- 24.01.2014Stewie1980: These stamps are 'personalized' stamps i …
- 24.01.2014alex: fake?
- 16.12.2013alex: fully agree with hippokampos. What do y …
- 16.12.2013hippokampos: Philately is not dying. Changing yes, bu …
- 04.12.2013alex: +1
- 04.12.2013editor-in-chief: fixed!
- 04.12.2013hippokampos: No AR code to listen the music?
- 04.12.2013hippokampos: Please change TAG to Slovakia.