Jewish Cultural Heritage – 130 Years of the Great Jewish Temple in Raduati stamps from Romania
On the occasion of the 130th anniversary since the inauguration of the Great Temple in Radauti, Romfilatelia introduces into circulation a postage stamps issue dedicated to this event.
On 18 August 1883, on Emperor Franz Joseph I birthday, the Great Temple was inaugurated in the centre of the town, the first service being held by the one who would be, between 1883 and 1909, the new Chief Rabbi of the town, Yitzhak Kunstadt.
The Temple is a massive building constructed in a Moorish style having two high towers, each ending in a dome, giving the building the aspect of an Orthodox cathedral. The three arcades from the entrance are sustained by four massive columns.
Inside, there are decorations combining the Moorish, Renaissance and Baroque styles. The windows are circular and they end with arcades.
The postage stamps of the issue reproduce the building of the Great Jewish Temple in Radauti, next to Jewish graphic symbols (the Star of David and Menorah).
- 07.03.2016Most popular stamps 2015 by StampNews readers’ opinion - 2,156
- 27.05.2016Slovene lacemaking as the greatest form of art. One Special stamp released by Slovenian Post - 1,958
- 02.03.2016Presidents on Stamps – remarkable stamp issues to be remembered and collected - 1,517
- 25.03.2016Queen’s 90th birthday celebrated by Jersey Post. 10 new festive stamps released - 449
- 05.08.2016Brazil Stamps: Today is a happy day for us, opening the …
- 05.08.2016hippokampos: Bonjour Michele, some advice for you. …
- 02.08.2016editor-in-chief: fixed, thank you!
- 31.07.2016Stewie1980: The '4995 items issued' only applies to …
- 28.07.2016Stewie1980: These are not personalized. Personalized …
- 27.07.2016editor-in-chief: Hope these stamps are not PERSONALIZED
- 16.07.2016Michele: Bonjour, Je suis dentellière, philatéli …
- 13.07.2016Stewie1980: These are “PERSONALIZED” stamps! These a …
- 26.06.2016alex: another stamp with stamps
- 05.05.2016alex: just purchased