Rosa Parks stamp from the USA
In 1955, in Montgomery, Alabama, Rosa Parks courageously refused to give up her seat on a municipal bus to a white man, defying the discriminatory laws of the time. The U.S. Postal Service honored the life of this extraordinary American activist who became an iconic figure in the civil rights movement.
The stamp art, a gouache painting on illustration board, is a portrait of Parks emphasizing her quiet strength. A 1950s photograph served as the basis for the stamp portrait.
The response to Parks’s arrest was a boycott of the Montgomery bus system that lasted for more than a year and became an international cause celebre. In 1956, in a related case, the U.S. Supreme Court affirmed that segregating Montgomery buses was unconstitutional.
Soon after the boycott ended, Parks moved to Detroit, Michigan. She joined the 1963 march on Washington and returned to Alabama in 1965 to join the march from Selma to Montgomery. The many honors Parks received in her lifetime include the Presidential Medal of Freedom (1966), the Spingarn Medal (1979), and the Congressional Gold Medal (1999). Upon her death in 2005, she became the first woman and second African American to lie in honor in the U.S. Capitol Rotunda in Washington, DC.
Artist Thomas Blackshear II created an original painting for the stamp, which was designed by art director Derry Noyes. The stamp is being issued as a Forever stamp.
- 28.02.2014Most popular stamps 2013 by our readers’ opinion - 1,729
- 17.04.2014Vintage Circus Posters are to surprise the collectors - 874
- 07.05.2014Post Offices around the world on Facebook, May 2014 (INFOGRAPHICS) - 675
- 11.07.2014Assassination of the Austrian Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife Sophie Duchess of Hohenberg - 344
- 15.06.2014hippokampos: What color post marks is used for cancel …
- 15.06.2014alex: +1
- 14.06.2014Doc4Cent: LIke the Carob Tree stamps from Monaco t …
- 14.06.2014Doc4Cent: These Carob Tree stamps are just stunnin …
- 29.05.2014alex: 3 metres in length ???
- 27.05.2014alex: The results are interesting and not at a …
- 01.05.2014hippokampos: No AR code?
- 05.04.2014hippokampos: We missed you.
- 21.02.2014hippokampos: Expecting more stamps with same topic se …
- 27.01.2014Stewie1980: This is not a real stamp! From the Magy …