Austrian Post celebrates the centennial of the Vienna Konzerthaus by issuing a new stamp. Since its opening 100 years ago, the Vienna Konzerthaus is one of the most important institutions of the international music scene.
The Vienna Konzerthaus was opened 1913. It is situated in the third district just at the edge of the first district in Vienna. Since it was founded it has always tried to emphasize both tradition and innovative musical styles.
In 1890, the first ideas for a Haus fur Musikfeste (House for music festivals) came about. The idea of the new multi-purpose building was to be more interesting to the broader public than the traditional Vienna Musikverein. In addition to the concert hall, the first drawings by Ludwig Baumann for the Olympion included an ice-skating area and a bicycle club. In an attached open air area, 40,000 visitors would be able to attend events. The drawings were not accepted. However, today an ice skating area is situated right next to the building.
The Konzerthaus was finally built between 1911 and 1913. The architects were Ferdinand Fellner and Hermann Helmer; the work was done in cooperation with Ludwig Baumann.