Skalka by Trencin stamp from Slovakia
Within the “Beauties of Our Homeland” series the Slovak Post has issued a beautiful stamp illustrating Skalka by Trencin – pilgrimage site founded on the rock on the right bank of the Vah river. It is situated north east of Trencin. According to Maurus’ legend, St. Svorad-Andrew and afterwards his student and follower St. Benedict worked here and St. Benedict also died here by martyr’s death. The regional cult of these hermits was officially declared in 1083 when Ss. Svorad and Benedict were canonized as one of the first Hungarian saints (17th July).
Besides the traditional pilgrimage that takes place on 17th July and some occasional events, this area is opened for visitors with a guide during the season.
- 18.09.2013Marine Fauna of Slovenia stamps covered with sea salt - 1,381
- 04.11.2013Top 10 most extraordinary stamps 2012 - 891
- 18.06.2013Top 10 most touching stamps 2012 - 878
- 28.09.2013Raphael the Italian painter through philately - 591
- 04.12.2013alex: +1
- 04.12.2013editor-in-chief: fixed!
- 04.12.2013hippokampos: No AR code to listen the music?
- 04.12.2013hippokampos: Please change TAG to Slovakia.
- 04.12.2013hippokampos: Please change Tag to Slovakia
- 11.10.2013tuncayyavas: EN İYİ DİLEKLERİMLE
- 01.10.2013editor-in-chief: Please check "Slovenia stamps covered wi …
- 27.09.2013alex: Fascinating post about one of my favorit …
- 25.09.2013alex: No philatelic value - but very pictures …
- 25.09.2013hippokampos: This information is deceptive. On pictur …
- 03.12.2013 - 13.12.2013Unusual Stamps Exhibition – Singapore Philatelic Museum
- 14.02.2014 - 16.02.2014AmeriStamp Expo Feb. 14-16, 2014 in Little Rock, Arkansas