The German Post has issued a stamp commemorating the 200th anniversary of Gaubodenfest festival in Straubing.
On 12 of October 1812, thousands of people from all over the town of Straubing in Lower Bavaria participated for the first time in the “agricultural festival.” The aim was to improve the backward agriculture in Bavaria and the stimulate peasants to produce more products by awarding their livestock.
During the 19th century the agricultural festivals took place in all the Bavarian administrative districts, getting more and more carnival-like traits. Represented only by the horse racing in the beginning, it was supplemented by shooting competitions, parades, fireworks, lottery, wine and beer sampling, food stalls, shows and rides.
The Straubing agricultural festival became the second largest agricultural festival in Bavaria, which attracts over 1.2 million visitors annually. It is enjoyable thanks to its cozy atmosphere and the nicest people around.
- 22.03.2013Postojna Cave, the First Underground Post Office on new Slovenia-Austria joint stamp issue - 777
- 26.03.2013Chocolate stamps from Belgium to arouse senses - 348
- 11.03.2009Top 10 most touching postage stamps of 2008 - 344
- 21.05.2013US Postmaster General in talks with StampNews.com - 344
- 24.05.2013 - 26.05.2013NOJEX 2013, North Jersey Stamp Show
- 07.06.2013 - 09.06.2013Nordic stamp exhibition NORDIA 2013 in Gardabaer, Iceland
- 16.07.2013 - 21.06.2013APS Summer Seminar on Philately in Bellefonte, Pennsylvania
- 02.08.2013 - 14.08.2013WORLD STAMP EXHIBITION THAILAND 2013
- 08.08.2013 - 11.08.2013APS StampShow 2013 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- 19.11.2013 - 25.11.2013WORLD STAMP EXHIBITION BRASILIANA-2013