This issue is the second of three being released by Australia Post for the Games of the XXX Olympiad (27 July-12 August 2012) in London.
The issue, which carries the symbol of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), commemorates the performances of Australia’s athletes at the Olympic Games. Represented on the stamps is the sport of Rowing, discipline of Swimming and event of Pole Vault. These subjects are indicative of Australian athletes’ strengths at past Olympic Games: historically most medals won by Australian athletes have been in Swimming, Athletics, Cycling and Rowing.
The Australian Olympic team athletes have always been most successful in the pool, as indicated by their 168 Olympic medals, including 56 gold. Australia’s first Olympic swimmer was Fredrick ‘Freddy’ Lane, who won two gold medals in 1900 in Paris. In the 1950s and 60s, swimmers such as Murray Rose, Dawn Fraser, Lorraine Crapp and Jon Konrads became household names.
- 22.03.2013Postojna Cave, the First Underground Post Office on new Slovenia-Austria joint stamp issue - 777
- 26.03.2013Chocolate stamps from Belgium to arouse senses - 348
- 11.03.2009Top 10 most touching postage stamps of 2008 - 343
- 21.05.2013US Postmaster General in talks with StampNews.com - 339
- 24.05.2013 - 26.05.2013NOJEX 2013, North Jersey Stamp Show
- 07.06.2013 - 09.06.2013Nordic stamp exhibition NORDIA 2013 in Gardabaer, Iceland
- 16.07.2013 - 21.06.2013APS Summer Seminar on Philately in Bellefonte, Pennsylvania
- 02.08.2013 - 14.08.2013WORLD STAMP EXHIBITION THAILAND 2013
- 08.08.2013 - 11.08.2013APS StampShow 2013 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- 19.11.2013 - 25.11.2013WORLD STAMP EXHIBITION BRASILIANA-2013