Whales on new stamp issue from Aruba
The Postal Service of Aruba has released a stamp issue featuring whales.
In Aruba there are confirmed presence of 13 Cetacean species, of which 8 have whale names: The Humpback whale, Bryde’s whale, the Sperm whale, the Pygme sperm whale, the beaked whale, the Killer whale (dolphinidea), the Pilot whale (dolphinidea), and the False Kilerwhale (dolphinidea).
Like all mammals, whales breathe air, are warm-blooded, nurse their young with milk from mammary glands, and have body hair. Whales have forelimbs modified as fins, a tail with horizontal flukes, and nasal openings (blowholes) on top of the head, allowing the animal to remain mostly submerged whilst breathing. Breathing involves expelling excess water from the blowhole, forming an upward spout, followed by inhaling air into the lungs. Unlike most animals, whales are conscious breathers. All mammals sleep, but whales cannot afford to become unconscious for long because they may drown.
- 18.09.2013Marine Fauna of Slovenia stamps covered with sea salt - 1,333
- 18.06.2013Top 10 most touching stamps 2012 - 867
- 04.11.2013Top 10 most extraordinary stamps 2012 - 832
- 28.09.2013Raphael the Italian painter through philately - 572
- 04.12.2013alex: +1
- 04.12.2013editor-in-chief: fixed!
- 04.12.2013hippokampos: No AR code to listen the music?
- 04.12.2013hippokampos: Please change TAG to Slovakia.
- 04.12.2013hippokampos: Please change Tag to Slovakia
- 11.10.2013tuncayyavas: EN İYİ DİLEKLERİMLE
- 01.10.2013editor-in-chief: Please check "Slovenia stamps covered wi …
- 27.09.2013alex: Fascinating post about one of my favorit …
- 25.09.2013alex: No philatelic value - but very pictures …
- 25.09.2013hippokampos: This information is deceptive. On pictur …
- 19.10.2013 - 08.12.2013Museum Africa Stamp Show exhibition, 19 Oct to 8 Dec 2013
- 03.12.2013 - 13.12.2013Unusual Stamps Exhibition – Singapore Philatelic Museum
- 14.02.2014 - 16.02.2014AmeriStamp Expo Feb. 14-16, 2014 in Little Rock, Arkansas