The Russian Post is commemorating the 75th anniversary of the foundation of Russian traffic police by issuing a special stamp.
The stamp depicts the official emblem of the Russian Interior Ministry traffic police.
On July 3, 1936 Council of People's Commissars of the USSR approved the "Regulations on the State Automobile Inspection of the Main Directorate of the workers 'and peasants' militia of the USSR." During the Great Patriotic War traffic inspectors mobilized vehicles for the war needs, registered of fuels and lubricants, supervised the training of military drivers. Since 1956, the traffic police got the opportunity to deny driver's licenses for drunken driving and to prohibit driving motor vehicles without driver's licenses.
On August 10, 1978 The Council of Ministers of URSS approved the "Regulations on the State Automobile Inspection." By 1988, there was a need for further development of the SAI, the introduction of modern management tools and traffic control. The national information-retrieval system registration of vehicles, driving licenses, traffic accidents, etc was set up. On June 15, 1989 SAI was renamed into the State Inspectorate for Road Safety - traffic police of the Russian Federation.