On April 14, 2011, An Post issued a stamp to commemorate the founding of the
Irish Amateur Boxing Association (IABA).
The new stamp features a striking action shot of boxers David Joyce of St Michael’s Boxing Club, Athy (in blue) and Stephen O’Reilly of Twin Towns Boxing Club, Ballybofey, Co Donegal, alongside the IABA crest.
The first day cover design features the IABA logo and the silhouette of a boxer. The stamp and first day cover were designed by Q Design.
The IABA is the governing body of amateur boxing in Ireland, with a presence in every one of the 32 counties. It has over 350 affiliated clubs, each with an average membership of about 25 boys and girls.
When the association opened the National Stadium on the South Circular Road in Dublin, in 1939, it was the first purpose-built boxing stadium anywhere in the world. Today, it continues as the headquarters of the association and the venue for national and international boxing matches.
Amateur boxing is such a successful sport in this country that to date, Ireland has won 12 Olympic medals for boxing, nearly half the national tally. Ireland has produced many outstanding boxers, ensuring a high ranking in world league tables.
- 22.03.2013Postojna Cave, the First Underground Post Office on new Slovenia-Austria joint stamp issue - 778
- 21.05.2013US Postmaster General in talks with StampNews.com - 359
- 26.03.2013Chocolate stamps from Belgium to arouse senses - 349
- 11.03.2009Top 10 most touching postage stamps of 2008 - 348
- 24.05.2013 - 26.05.2013NOJEX 2013, North Jersey Stamp Show
- 26.05.2013 - 30.05.2013TEL AVIV 2013 – Multinational Stamp Exhibition, Tel Aviv – Yafo, Israel
- 07.06.2013 - 09.06.2013Nordic stamp exhibition NORDIA 2013 in Gardabaer, Iceland
- 16.07.2013 - 21.06.2013APS Summer Seminar on Philately in Bellefonte, Pennsylvania
- 02.08.2013 - 14.08.2013WORLD STAMP EXHIBITION THAILAND 2013
- 08.08.2013 - 11.08.2013APS StampShow 2013 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- 19.11.2013 - 25.11.2013WORLD STAMP EXHIBITION BRASILIANA-2013