An Post stamp packs a punch!
On April 14, 2011, An Post issued a stamp to commemorate the founding of the
Irish Amateur Boxing Association (IABA).
The new stamp features a striking action shot of boxers David Joyce of St Michael’s Boxing Club, Athy (in blue) and Stephen O’Reilly of Twin Towns Boxing Club, Ballybofey, Co Donegal, alongside the IABA crest.
The first day cover design features the IABA logo and the silhouette of a boxer. The stamp and first day cover were designed by Q Design.
The IABA is the governing body of amateur boxing in Ireland, with a presence in every one of the 32 counties. It has over 350 affiliated clubs, each with an average membership of about 25 boys and girls.
When the association opened the National Stadium on the South Circular Road in Dublin, in 1939, it was the first purpose-built boxing stadium anywhere in the world. Today, it continues as the headquarters of the association and the venue for national and international boxing matches.
Amateur boxing is such a successful sport in this country that to date, Ireland has won 12 Olympic medals for boxing, nearly half the national tally. Ireland has produced many outstanding boxers, ensuring a high ranking in world league tables.
- 18.09.2013Marine Fauna of Slovenia stamps covered with sea salt - 1,365
- 18.06.2013Top 10 most touching stamps 2012 - 874
- 04.11.2013Top 10 most extraordinary stamps 2012 - 864
- 28.09.2013Raphael the Italian painter through philately - 584
- 04.12.2013alex: +1
- 04.12.2013editor-in-chief: fixed!
- 04.12.2013hippokampos: No AR code to listen the music?
- 04.12.2013hippokampos: Please change TAG to Slovakia.
- 04.12.2013hippokampos: Please change Tag to Slovakia
- 11.10.2013tuncayyavas: EN İYİ DİLEKLERİMLE
- 01.10.2013editor-in-chief: Please check "Slovenia stamps covered wi …
- 27.09.2013alex: Fascinating post about one of my favorit …
- 25.09.2013alex: No philatelic value - but very pictures …
- 25.09.2013hippokampos: This information is deceptive. On pictur …
- 03.12.2013 - 13.12.2013Unusual Stamps Exhibition – Singapore Philatelic Museum
- 14.02.2014 - 16.02.2014AmeriStamp Expo Feb. 14-16, 2014 in Little Rock, Arkansas