India’s first cloth stamp
A unique stamp printed on cloth is all set to grace the collections of philatelists world wide. In a bid to popularise philately, India Post has decided to release a stamp printed on khadi (Indian handspun and hand-woven cloth). A first such stamp in the country, it will bear the image of Mahatma Gandhi.
The stamp will be issued on February 12, the inaugural day of week-long world philatelic exhibition – Indipex 2011.
The stamp will be released at the national museum amid thousands of eminent philatelists from different countries.
According to philatelist Madhukar Jhingan, this is a revolutionary step as no Indian stamp was ever made on any material other than paper.
“I am sure this stamp will be in high demand. Earlier, a few countries such as Bhutan, Thailand and Austria had successfully experimented with stamps on cloth and other materials,” Jhingan said.
- 18.09.2013Marine Fauna of Slovenia stamps covered with sea salt - 1,386
- 04.11.2013Top 10 most extraordinary stamps 2012 - 900
- 18.06.2013Top 10 most touching stamps 2012 - 882
- 28.09.2013Raphael the Italian painter through philately - 595
- 04.12.2013alex: +1
- 04.12.2013editor-in-chief: fixed!
- 04.12.2013hippokampos: No AR code to listen the music?
- 04.12.2013hippokampos: Please change TAG to Slovakia.
- 04.12.2013hippokampos: Please change Tag to Slovakia
- 11.10.2013tuncayyavas: EN İYİ DİLEKLERİMLE
- 01.10.2013editor-in-chief: Please check "Slovenia stamps covered wi …
- 27.09.2013alex: Fascinating post about one of my favorit …
- 25.09.2013alex: No philatelic value - but very pictures …
- 25.09.2013hippokampos: This information is deceptive. On pictur …
- 03.12.2013 - 13.12.2013Unusual Stamps Exhibition – Singapore Philatelic Museum
- 14.02.2014 - 16.02.2014AmeriStamp Expo Feb. 14-16, 2014 in Little Rock, Arkansas