A unique stamp printed on cloth is all set to grace the collections of philatelists world wide. In a bid to popularise philately, India Post has decided to release a stamp printed on khadi (Indian handspun and hand-woven cloth). A first such stamp in the country, it will bear the image of Mahatma Gandhi.
The stamp will be issued on February 12, the inaugural day of week-long world philatelic exhibition – Indipex 2011.
The stamp will be released at the national museum amid thousands of eminent philatelists from different countries.
According to philatelist Madhukar Jhingan, this is a revolutionary step as no Indian stamp was ever made on any material other than paper.
“I am sure this stamp will be in high demand. Earlier, a few countries such as Bhutan, Thailand and Austria had successfully experimented with stamps on cloth and other materials,” Jhingan said.
- 22.03.2013Postojna Cave, the First Underground Post Office on new Slovenia-Austria joint stamp issue - 772
- 26.03.2013Chocolate stamps from Belgium to arouse senses - 344
- 11.03.2009Top 10 most touching postage stamps of 2008 - 335
- 27.03.2013StampNews.com launches new design - 312
- 24.05.2013 - 26.05.2013NOJEX 2013, North Jersey Stamp Show
- 07.06.2013 - 09.06.2013Nordic stamp exhibition NORDIA 2013 in Gardabaer, Iceland
- 16.07.2013 - 21.06.2013APS Summer Seminar on Philately in Bellefonte, Pennsylvania
- 02.08.2013 - 14.08.2013WORLD STAMP EXHIBITION THAILAND 2013
- 08.08.2013 - 11.08.2013APS StampShow 2013 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- 19.11.2013 - 25.11.2013WORLD STAMP EXHIBITION BRASILIANA-2013