700 Years of Paper Use in Hungary Commemorated on Stamp
Magyar Posta is commemorating the 700th anniversary of the use of paper in Hungary by releasing a special stamp.
The first Hungarian document on paper dates from 1310. The size of the straw-coloured fragment of a sheet of paper cut to the shape of an irregular, horizontal rectangle is 233-240 x 168-171 mm. The hand-made paper is relatively thick, but the thickness varies, and its condition shows the signs of the centuries. The letter of Cardinal Gentilis is today kept by the Hungarian National Archives.
The stamp design shows the first deed on Hungarian watermarked paper issued in Pozsony by the papal legate Cardinal Gentilis de Monteflorum. On the first day cover the reverse of the document and the building of the Hungarian National Archives are depicted. The special postmark employs the motif of a dragon watermark.
- 18.09.2013Marine Fauna of Slovenia stamps covered with sea salt - 1,317
- 18.06.2013Top 10 most touching stamps 2012 - 864
- 04.11.2013Top 10 most extraordinary stamps 2012 - 805
- 28.09.2013Raphael the Italian painter through philately - 563
- 04.12.2013alex: +1
- 04.12.2013editor-in-chief: fixed!
- 04.12.2013hippokampos: No AR code to listen the music?
- 04.12.2013hippokampos: Please change TAG to Slovakia.
- 04.12.2013hippokampos: Please change Tag to Slovakia
- 11.10.2013tuncayyavas: EN İYİ DİLEKLERİMLE
- 01.10.2013editor-in-chief: Please check "Slovenia stamps covered wi …
- 27.09.2013alex: Fascinating post about one of my favorit …
- 25.09.2013alex: No philatelic value - but very pictures …
- 25.09.2013hippokampos: This information is deceptive. On pictur …
- 19.10.2013 - 08.12.2013Museum Africa Stamp Show exhibition, 19 Oct to 8 Dec 2013
- 03.12.2013 - 13.12.2013Unusual Stamps Exhibition – Singapore Philatelic Museum
- 14.02.2014 - 16.02.2014AmeriStamp Expo Feb. 14-16, 2014 in Little Rock, Arkansas