Asian American lawmakers appeal for stamps
Asian American members of the US Congress on Thursday appealed for the US Postal Service to issue more stamps depicting the community, which they said has been sorely underpresented.
The Postal Service has issued 43 stamps with Asian American themes since 1957, when a citizens’ committee was set up to propose stamp subjects. Nearly half of the stamps have marked the Chinese New Year, the lawmakers said.
In a letter to the committee, Asian American members of Congress proposed a range of potential honorees for stamps such as Chinese who built the Transcontinental Railroad and Japanese Americans interned during World War II.
Individuals who would warrant a stamp include Chinese American film star Anna May Wong and Indian-born Dalip Singh Saund, who was elected in 1956 as the first Asian American member of Congress, the letter said.
“Stamps are like history teachers, educating us on significant, and often omitted, social, cultural and political occurrences in America’s past,” said Representative Mike Honda, a Democrat from California and head of the Asian American caucus.
The issuance of more Asian American stamps is “a necessary next step in mainstreaming a minority group that remains marginalized from the postal service’s primary platform for remembering America’s history,” he said.
- 03.02.2015Most popular stamps 2014 by our readers’ opinion - 556
- 15.11.2014Lego Toys stamps for EUROPA stamp competition - 511
- 05.11.2014The block of Jenny inverted stamps was sold for almost 5 million dollars - 487
- 06.11.2014Russia refuses to recognize Tom of Finland stamps - 482
- 21.03.2015alex: Peppa the best!!!
- 09.02.2015Julieta Pascanu: We received on behalf of the Italian Fed …
- 09.02.2015alex: USPS Vintage Circus Posters really the b …
- 01.02.2015editor-in-chief: corrected :)
- 21.01.2015Spirit: No way that Swiss Post regularly issue p …
- 04.01.2015Olchik: Funny stamps. It is my favourite childre …
- 04.01.2015Olchik: Great stamp. Nelson Mandela will remain …
- 25.11.2014Olchik: Very extraodinary stamp. I like it!
- 05.11.2014alex: Compound Annual Growth Rate is about 10% …
- 28.10.2014editor-in-chief: fixed :)