Croatia protests over Italian stamp
Zagreb has sent a demarche to Rome over a postage stamp depicting Rijeka.
Above the picture of the Croatian coastal city, a caption reads “The eastern land that used to be Italian.”
The Croatian Interior and European Integration Ministry has sent a letter of protest to Italy stating that they had learned in October of the preparations for issuing the stamp and had immediately informed Italy that the content was unacceptable.
Italy stated that it would not issue the stamp following receipt of the protest letter, according to a statement from the Croatian Ministry.
The protest note states that Croatia is surprised by the issue of the stamp, adding that the move was inappropriate and goes against the spirit of good neighborly relations and friendship.
The Italian Foreign Ministry was asked to once again inform the Italian government of Croatia’s views and to undertake adequate measures to prevent further distribution of the stamp.
- 02.03.2016Presidents on Stamps – remarkable stamp issues to be remembered and collected - 1,207
- 07.03.2016Most popular stamps 2015 by StampNews readers’ opinion - 1,160
- 14.12.2015A scandal in the world of philately! Carrick woman accused of stealing and selling stamps worth US$1 million - 698
- 08.02.2016New Zealand Native Glowworms amaze by their beauty. 4 innovative shining stamps released! - 413
- 05.05.2016alex: just purchased
- 22.04.2016alex: 2009 stamp on 2016 FDC - This could be h …
- 20.04.2016alex: nice series!
- 18.04.2016birdstamper: The Shearwaters on these four stamps are …
- 08.04.2016Stewie1980: These are “PERSONALIZED” stamps! These a …
- 08.04.2016Stewie1980: This is a “PERSONALIZED” stamp! It was N …
- 08.04.2016Stewie1980: These are "PERSONALIZED" stamps! These a …
- 12.03.2016StampLover: Very detailed and interesting ranking! A …
- 06.03.2016alex: agree!
- 04.03.2016prettyfen: this topic stamps is very few.