Croatia protests over Italian stamp
Zagreb has sent a demarche to Rome over a postage stamp depicting Rijeka.
Above the picture of the Croatian coastal city, a caption reads “The eastern land that used to be Italian.”
The Croatian Interior and European Integration Ministry has sent a letter of protest to Italy stating that they had learned in October of the preparations for issuing the stamp and had immediately informed Italy that the content was unacceptable.
Italy stated that it would not issue the stamp following receipt of the protest letter, according to a statement from the Croatian Ministry.
The protest note states that Croatia is surprised by the issue of the stamp, adding that the move was inappropriate and goes against the spirit of good neighborly relations and friendship.
The Italian Foreign Ministry was asked to once again inform the Italian government of Croatia’s views and to undertake adequate measures to prevent further distribution of the stamp.
- 18.09.2013Marine Fauna of Slovenia stamps covered with sea salt - 1,912
- 04.11.2013Top 10 most extraordinary stamps 2012 - 1,322
- 28.02.2014Most popular stamps 2013 by our readers’ opinion - 699
- 28.09.2013Raphael the Italian painter through philately - 665
- 21.02.2014hippokampos: Expecting more stamps with same topic se …
- 27.01.2014Stewie1980: This is not a real stamp! From the Magy …
- 24.01.2014Stewie1980: These stamps are 'personalized' stamps i …
- 24.01.2014alex: fake?
- 16.12.2013alex: fully agree with hippokampos. What do y …
- 16.12.2013hippokampos: Philately is not dying. Changing yes, bu …
- 04.12.2013alex: +1
- 04.12.2013editor-in-chief: fixed!
- 04.12.2013hippokampos: No AR code to listen the music?
- 04.12.2013hippokampos: Please change TAG to Slovakia.