Croatia protests over Italian stamp
Zagreb has sent a demarche to Rome over a postage stamp depicting Rijeka.
Above the picture of the Croatian coastal city, a caption reads “The eastern land that used to be Italian.”
The Croatian Interior and European Integration Ministry has sent a letter of protest to Italy stating that they had learned in October of the preparations for issuing the stamp and had immediately informed Italy that the content was unacceptable.
Italy stated that it would not issue the stamp following receipt of the protest letter, according to a statement from the Croatian Ministry.
The protest note states that Croatia is surprised by the issue of the stamp, adding that the move was inappropriate and goes against the spirit of good neighborly relations and friendship.
The Italian Foreign Ministry was asked to once again inform the Italian government of Croatia’s views and to undertake adequate measures to prevent further distribution of the stamp.
- 28.02.2014Most popular stamps 2013 by our readers’ opinion - 1,632
- 17.04.2014Vintage Circus Posters are to surprise the collectors - 844
- 07.05.2014Post Offices around the world on Facebook, May 2014 (INFOGRAPHICS) - 599
- 31.01.20142014 FIFA World Cup Brazil – Host Cities featured on new Brazilian stamps - 333
- 15.06.2014hippokampos: What color post marks is used for cancel …
- 15.06.2014alex: +1
- 14.06.2014Doc4Cent: LIke the Carob Tree stamps from Monaco t …
- 14.06.2014Doc4Cent: These Carob Tree stamps are just stunnin …
- 29.05.2014alex: 3 metres in length ???
- 27.05.2014alex: The results are interesting and not at a …
- 01.05.2014hippokampos: No AR code?
- 05.04.2014hippokampos: We missed you.
- 21.02.2014hippokampos: Expecting more stamps with same topic se …
- 27.01.2014Stewie1980: This is not a real stamp! From the Magy …