Croatia protests over Italian stamp
Zagreb has sent a demarche to Rome over a postage stamp depicting Rijeka.
Above the picture of the Croatian coastal city, a caption reads “The eastern land that used to be Italian.”
The Croatian Interior and European Integration Ministry has sent a letter of protest to Italy stating that they had learned in October of the preparations for issuing the stamp and had immediately informed Italy that the content was unacceptable.
Italy stated that it would not issue the stamp following receipt of the protest letter, according to a statement from the Croatian Ministry.
The protest note states that Croatia is surprised by the issue of the stamp, adding that the move was inappropriate and goes against the spirit of good neighborly relations and friendship.
The Italian Foreign Ministry was asked to once again inform the Italian government of Croatia’s views and to undertake adequate measures to prevent further distribution of the stamp.
- 07.03.2016Most popular stamps 2015 by StampNews readers’ opinion - 2,156
- 27.05.2016Slovene lacemaking as the greatest form of art. One Special stamp released by Slovenian Post - 1,960
- 02.03.2016Presidents on Stamps – remarkable stamp issues to be remembered and collected - 1,517
- 25.03.2016Queen’s 90th birthday celebrated by Jersey Post. 10 new festive stamps released - 449
- 05.08.2016Brazil Stamps: Today is a happy day for us, opening the …
- 05.08.2016hippokampos: Bonjour Michele, some advice for you. …
- 02.08.2016editor-in-chief: fixed, thank you!
- 31.07.2016Stewie1980: The '4995 items issued' only applies to …
- 28.07.2016Stewie1980: These are not personalized. Personalized …
- 27.07.2016editor-in-chief: Hope these stamps are not PERSONALIZED
- 16.07.2016Michele: Bonjour, Je suis dentellière, philatéli …
- 13.07.2016Stewie1980: These are “PERSONALIZED” stamps! These a …
- 26.06.2016alex: another stamp with stamps
- 05.05.2016alex: just purchased