Shane Warne may have gone from Test cricket but on the palm-fringed beaches of the Caribbean, his image lives on.
The island nation of Grenada has released a series of 24 postage stamps depicting various images of the spin champion and world-record Test wicket taker.
“Grenada Post, on behalf of the West Indies government of Grenada, is releasing a full collection of national stamps to honour Shane Warne and the immense impact he had on cricket,” a spokesman for the stamp series production team, Dean Frenkel, said in a statement.
“This will make him the first cricketer in philatelic history to be honoured with an entire stamp issue.”
Mr Frenkel said the stamps, released under six categories, would circulate on envelopes throughout the Caribbean and be available to collectors around the world.
The categories are: The Legendary, with close-up profiles; The Mastery, featuring a frame-by-frame sequence; The King of Spin, holding the World Cup trophy; The Power, with action shots; The Revolutionary, featuring the so-called ball of the century and the world record moment, The Artistry, featuring four specially-commissioned paintings by Australian artist Phillip Howe.
- 22.03.2013Postojna Cave, the First Underground Post Office on new Slovenia-Austria joint stamp issue - 773
- 26.03.2013Chocolate stamps from Belgium to arouse senses - 348
- 11.03.2009Top 10 most touching postage stamps of 2008 - 341
- 27.03.2013StampNews.com launches new design - 313
- 24.05.2013 - 26.05.2013NOJEX 2013, North Jersey Stamp Show
- 07.06.2013 - 09.06.2013Nordic stamp exhibition NORDIA 2013 in Gardabaer, Iceland
- 16.07.2013 - 21.06.2013APS Summer Seminar on Philately in Bellefonte, Pennsylvania
- 02.08.2013 - 14.08.2013WORLD STAMP EXHIBITION THAILAND 2013
- 08.08.2013 - 11.08.2013APS StampShow 2013 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- 19.11.2013 - 25.11.2013WORLD STAMP EXHIBITION BRASILIANA-2013