Following its established practice, Hungary Post is issuing a stamp to celebrate the central festival of Christianity, Easter.
A new stamp appears each year for postcards and letters posted in the Easter period with the explicit intention of enabling people to give their mail a festive appearance.
This year’s regular Easter stamp is based on a painting by Erzsebet Udvardi, who was born in Baja in 1929, and lives and works in Badacsonytomaj. Her work has won her the titles of Artist of Excellence and Artist of Merit, and in 1999 she received the Kossuth Prize. This is not the first occasion that her work has been used in a stamp design. This year’s Easter stamp shows a reproduction of her painting Jesus on the Cross.
It is of particular note as it is the first Hungarian stamp made by Staccato screening, a special printing process that gives finer detail and a far greater range of hues in nearphotographic quality and clarity. The stamp design is composed of minute dots that the human eye is unable to distinguish, producing a far more homogenous surface for the viewer. Christ Crowned with Thorns by the same artist adorns the first day cover, while the motif of the special postmark is a stylised cross.
- 22.03.2013Postojna Cave, the First Underground Post Office on new Slovenia-Austria joint stamp issue - 759
- 26.03.2013Chocolate stamps from Belgium to arouse senses - 339
- 11.03.2009Top 10 most touching postage stamps of 2008 - 318
- 27.03.2013StampNews.com launches new design - 310
- 24.05.2013 - 26.05.2013NOJEX 2013, North Jersey Stamp Show
- 07.06.2013 - 09.06.2013Nordic stamp exhibition NORDIA 2013 in Gardabaer, Iceland
- 16.07.2013 - 21.06.2013APS Summer Seminar on Philately in Bellefonte, Pennsylvania
- 02.08.2013 - 14.08.2013WORLD STAMP EXHIBITION THAILAND 2013
- 08.08.2013 - 11.08.2013APS StampShow 2013 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- 19.11.2013 - 25.11.2013WORLD STAMP EXHIBITION BRASILIANA-2013