The citizen of Berlin owner of printering Ernst Litfass (1816-1874) was annoyed at arbitrarily posters sticking in the area so much that he prepared an end for the chaos: At roads and public places columns were set up, at which controlled by a special enterprise advertisement posters were hung up. On 1 July 1855 the first 100 columns and 50 well casings of the public were introduced. For the solemn ceremony in Berlin particularly a Polka had been composed.
Those at that time "announcing columns" advertising medium mentioned are today as advertising pillars world well-known. Approximately 75,000 columns are located up-to-date in German cities. A multiplicity of the plants is lit, so that the advertising messages are around the clock well visible.