The island of Videy just outside Reykjavik Harbour has been one of the most famous Icelandic historical sites throughout the ages. The island is small, only about 1.7 km2. While it is mentioned in written accounts dating from the 12th century, archaeological investigations on the island in recent years have revealed evidence of settlement as early as the 10th century. The "father of Reykjavik" Skuli Magnusson built the mansion and the church on the island. The Icelandic Government presented the City of Reykjavik with Videy on the city's 200th Anniversary on August 18th, 1986. Flatey in the Bay of Skjalfandi is approx. 2.8 km2. It is supposed that the island has been raised by one meter in the 20th century owing to it being situated in an extremely active earthquake area. Flatey is a fertile island. The first lighthouse was built in 1913 and reconstructed in 1963. The island was settled early in historical times and the number of inhabitants increased during the first decades of the 20th century. The population peaked at 120 in 1942 and then consistently slid. Flatey has been unihabited for a few decades. Tourists and visitors come to the island every year, some staying for the duration of the summer.