Austria Post issue a new stamp on 14th April to commemorate Pope John Paul II who died on Saturday 2nd April.
The stamp has been designed by Peter Sinawehl and is based around the artwork of Kurt Leitgeb.
Pope John Paul II
- Born Karol Jozef Wojtyla on 18th May 1920
- Began studies at the University of Krakow in 1938
- Forced to work in factory after the German invasion in 1939
- Discovered his vocation to the priesthood in 1942 and entered the secret seminar established in Krakow by Cardinal Sapieha
- Ordained priest on 1st November 1946
- Appointed Suffragan Bishop of Krakow by Pope Pius XII on July 4, 1958
- Appointed Archbishop of Krakow by Pope Paul VI on January 13, 1964
- Appointed Cardinal on June 28, 1967
- Elected Pope as the first non-Italian for 455 years on October 16, 1978
- Survives an assassination attempt at the Vatican on May 13, 1981
- Died on April 2, 2005 at the age of 84.