Austria scraps plan to produce Dalai Lama stamp
Austria’s federal post office has abandoned a plan to produce a line of postage stamps honoring the exiled Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama, a human rights activist who had campaigned for the stamps said Wednesday.
Heinz Stoff, a Vienna activist, told the Salzburger Nachrichten newspaper he was approached by postal authorities who said they had scrapped the idea of producing the stamps.
Stoff said the post office cited “substantial interventions by the Chinese embassy” as its reason for abandoning the idea of a stamp honoring the Dalai Lama, who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1989.
Austria Post AG spokesman Michael Homola told the Austria Press Agency the post office reserves the right to cancel new stamp issues without explanation. He did not elaborate, and officials at the Chinese embassy were not immediately available for comment.
The newspaper said the idea for the stamp first was proposed last summer to coincide with the Dalai Lama’s 70th birthday.
- 07.03.2016Most popular stamps 2015 by StampNews readers’ opinion - 1,718
- 02.03.2016Presidents on Stamps – remarkable stamp issues to be remembered and collected - 1,334
- 27.05.2016Slovene lacemaking as the greatest form of art. One Special stamp released by Slovenian Post - 856
- 08.02.2016New Zealand Native Glowworms amaze by their beauty. 4 innovative shining stamps released! - 482
- 26.06.2016alex: another stamp with stamps
- 05.05.2016alex: just purchased
- 22.04.2016alex: 2009 stamp on 2016 FDC - This could be h …
- 20.04.2016alex: nice series!
- 18.04.2016birdstamper: The Shearwaters on these four stamps are …
- 08.04.2016Stewie1980: These are “PERSONALIZED” stamps! These a …
- 08.04.2016Stewie1980: This is a “PERSONALIZED” stamp! It was N …
- 08.04.2016Stewie1980: These are "PERSONALIZED" stamps! These a …
- 12.03.2016StampLover: Very detailed and interesting ranking! A …
- 06.03.2016alex: agree!