New Vatican postal stamps carry Pope’s image
The Vatican has released the first postage stamps bearing a portrait of Pope Benedict XVI.
On May 24, the Vatican philatelic bureau issued a 3-stamp set, in values of 45, 62, and 80 cents (European). Each stamp carries its own inscription: Habemus Papam; Tu es Petrus; and Episcopus Romae respectively.
The last postage stamps issued by the Vatican were those commemorating the transition between Popes John Paul II and Benedict XVI. Carrying a picture of an angel, and the legend “Vacant See 2005,” they were quickly sold out to collectors.
Prior to that special issue, the last stamps produced by the Vatican were placed on sale in November 2004. The next set is expected to be a joint effort, with Germany, to commemorate World Youth Day in August.
- 18.09.2013Marine Fauna of Slovenia stamps covered with sea salt - 1,375
- 04.11.2013Top 10 most extraordinary stamps 2012 - 883
- 18.06.2013Top 10 most touching stamps 2012 - 877
- 28.09.2013Raphael the Italian painter through philately - 586
- 04.12.2013alex: +1
- 04.12.2013editor-in-chief: fixed!
- 04.12.2013hippokampos: No AR code to listen the music?
- 04.12.2013hippokampos: Please change TAG to Slovakia.
- 04.12.2013hippokampos: Please change Tag to Slovakia
- 11.10.2013tuncayyavas: EN İYİ DİLEKLERİMLE
- 01.10.2013editor-in-chief: Please check "Slovenia stamps covered wi …
- 27.09.2013alex: Fascinating post about one of my favorit …
- 25.09.2013alex: No philatelic value - but very pictures …
- 25.09.2013hippokampos: This information is deceptive. On pictur …
- 03.12.2013 - 13.12.2013Unusual Stamps Exhibition – Singapore Philatelic Museum
- 14.02.2014 - 16.02.2014AmeriStamp Expo Feb. 14-16, 2014 in Little Rock, Arkansas