New Vatican postal stamps carry Pope’s image
The Vatican has released the first postage stamps bearing a portrait of Pope Benedict XVI.
On May 24, the Vatican philatelic bureau issued a 3-stamp set, in values of 45, 62, and 80 cents (European). Each stamp carries its own inscription: Habemus Papam; Tu es Petrus; and Episcopus Romae respectively.
The last postage stamps issued by the Vatican were those commemorating the transition between Popes John Paul II and Benedict XVI. Carrying a picture of an angel, and the legend “Vacant See 2005,” they were quickly sold out to collectors.
Prior to that special issue, the last stamps produced by the Vatican were placed on sale in November 2004. The next set is expected to be a joint effort, with Germany, to commemorate World Youth Day in August.
Поделиться в соц. сетях
- 12.09.2016Supermodel Doutzen Kroes commemorated with a new issue by PostNL. Ten extremely pretty and original stamps unveiled - 656
- 06.08.2016Preliminary results of the annual rating “MOST POPULAR STAMPS 2016 BY STAMPNEWS READERS’ OPINION”. You can be the one who will define the winner! - 622
- 22.08.2016A real furor in the philatelic world. Stamp enthusiast from Czech Republic bought world’s most expensive stamps! - 530
- 04.08.2016Marking Olympic history through stamps The unique stamp collection of devoted philatelist França Leite - 441
- 07.11.2016rosie5612: Lovely Christmas Stamp design
- 01.11.2016alex: first really extraordinary stamp this ye …
- 28.10.2016Stewie1980: Ridiculous. The stamps are all the same. …
- 21.10.2016Stewie1980: You know this is satire, right? http:// …
- 16.10.2016alex: SOLD FOR US$1,540 - 15 October auction
- 12.10.2016rosie5612: I love the 2016 Holiday Window stamp tha …
- 01.10.2016rosie5612: it are very nice design of Jack O'Lanter …
- 25.09.2016editor-in-chief: fixed! thank you
- 22.09.2016Stewie1980: A printing run of 180,000 is not limited …
- 10.09.2016ubbu: Very nice stamps!