New Vatican postal stamps carry Pope’s image
On May 24, the Vatican philatelic bureau issued a 3-stamp set, in values of 45, 62, and 80 cents (European). Each stamp carries its own inscription: Habemus Papam; Tu es Petrus; and Episcopus Romae respectively.
The last postage stamps issued by the Vatican were those commemorating the transition between Popes John Paul II and Benedict XVI. Carrying a picture of an angel, and the legend “Vacant See 2005,” they were quickly sold out to collectors.
Prior to that special issue, the last stamps produced by the Vatican were placed on sale in November 2004. The next set is expected to be a joint effort, with Germany, to commemorate World Youth Day in August.
- 04.11.2013Top 10 most extraordinary stamps 2012 - 1,470
- 28.02.2014Most popular stamps 2013 by our readers’ opinion - 1,122
- 18.11.2013StampNews.com Rankings 2014 - 545
- 17.04.2014Vintage Circus Posters are to surprise the collectors - 534
- 05.04.2014hippokampos: We missed you.
- 21.02.2014hippokampos: Expecting more stamps with same topic se …
- 27.01.2014Stewie1980: This is not a real stamp! From the Magy …
- 24.01.2014Stewie1980: These stamps are 'personalized' stamps i …
- 24.01.2014alex: fake?
- 16.12.2013alex: fully agree with hippokampos. What do y …
- 16.12.2013hippokampos: Philately is not dying. Changing yes, bu …
- 04.12.2013alex: +1
- 04.12.2013editor-in-chief: fixed!
- 04.12.2013hippokampos: No AR code to listen the music?