Kronshtadt is a fortress-city. A fort Kronshlot was founded south to the island of Kotlin in the autumn of 1703 at the direction of Peter the Great in order to close a water-way to the mouth of the Neva. The fort and two batteries on the very island were put in operation on May 7 (18) 1704. This date is considered the date of the foundation of Kronshtadt. Large-scale city construction started in 1709-1710: harbours, batteries channels were built. Fitting-out and arming of the ships from St.Petersburg shipyards was carried out on the island of Kotlin. Tthe fort and the city developed in parallel. The central fortress - Kronshtadt - was founded in 1723. The fortress gave name to he city.