Austrian skiing legend Hermann Maier will be honored by Austria Post on 25th September when they release a new 55c stamp featuring the record breaking sportsman.
Born in Altenmarkt on December 7, 1972, Maier was introduced to the world of competitive skiing by his father who ran a skiing school in Flachau. He remained relatively unknown until he made his debut at the giant slalom at Hinterstoder in 1997, but it was at the 1998 Nagano Winter Olympics that he really made his name.
Having suffered an horrific accident which earned him the nickname “The Herminator”, Maier returned to the slope just three days later and captured the gold in the Super G, followed by Gold in the Giant Slalom. Victory in the overall World Cup later that same year capped a remarkable series of achievements for the Austrian.
- 22.03.2013Postojna Cave, the First Underground Post Office on new Slovenia-Austria joint stamp issue - 758
- 26.03.2013Chocolate stamps from Belgium to arouse senses - 339
- 11.03.2009Top 10 most touching postage stamps of 2008 - 315
- 27.03.2013StampNews.com launches new design - 310
- 24.05.2013 - 26.05.2013NOJEX 2013, North Jersey Stamp Show
- 07.06.2013 - 09.06.2013Nordic stamp exhibition NORDIA 2013 in Gardabaer, Iceland
- 16.07.2013 - 21.06.2013APS Summer Seminar on Philately in Bellefonte, Pennsylvania
- 02.08.2013 - 14.08.2013WORLD STAMP EXHIBITION THAILAND 2013
- 08.08.2013 - 11.08.2013APS StampShow 2013 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- 19.11.2013 - 25.11.2013WORLD STAMP EXHIBITION BRASILIANA-2013